By Ma’at Seba
Singer/actress Beyonce Knowles was on Oprah’s show and
stated that she had lost 20 pounds in a couple of weeks for her
starring role in “Dreamgirls”. She said that she had lost her
weight on the “Master Cleanser” diet, and since then the Master
Cleanser is becoming one of the most popular methods of
weight loss. It has generated a lot of media attention with both
supporters and naysayers. I have gone on the Master Cleanser
several times as well as my family members; we have had
wonderful results and will regularly incorporate it into our future
health regiment. A man named Stanley Burroughs, created the Master Cleanser (MC) over 40 years ago as a method of internal cleansing and healing. The MC is also called the “lemonade diet” because one of its most obvious benefits is substantial weight loss, but it actually is a detoxification fast.
Fasting is the abstinence from eating food (solid or liquid) for short or extended periods of time. The purpose and primary reasons for one to use the MC fast are detoxification, illness, weight loss and to allow the digestive and eliminative organs to rest. Fasting was used throughout the history of man as well as in nature, evidenced in children and animals that do not eat if they are not feeling well. The MC ideally should be used to cleanse the body and its systems at least four times a year (when the seasons change), when you have become overweight and especially when an illness has developed whether it is minor, acute or chronic.
Some of the reported healing benefits of the MC are: loosing up to 5-20 or more pounds (depending on each individual), increased energy, relief from aches and pains, colds, boils, fat burning, skin problems, cholesterol deposits, sinuses, joint and muscle pain, abscesses, allergies and ulcers. Other wonderful benefits have been the disappearance of cravings, which have resulted in the breaking of addictions such as caffeinated drinks, sugar, junk foods, smoking, alcohol and even drugs. Some years ago before I changed my dietary habits, I was addicted to Pepsi. I went on the MC for seven days, I had lost 10 pounds and I realized that my craving for Pepsi was gone.
As powerful and effective as the MC is, amazingly it only has five ingredients in its recipe:
1. Lemons (or limes) - which are rich in vitamins and minerals, a natural cleansing, disinfectant and detoxifying agent
2. Grade B (or C) maple syrup – is the richest in mineral content and should not be confused or replaced with sugar based maple flavored syrup found in the grocery store which has no nutritional value or health benefits
3. Cayenne pepper – aids in digestion, improves circulation and breaks up mucus in the body
4. Sea salt (un-iodized) - flushes the bowels while providing natural sodium to the body
5. Alkaline water – a pure form of water that assists the body in reducing its acidity, becoming more alkaline thus giving the body what it needs to heal itself.
In addition to the MC, a herbal laxative tea is recommended to assure more rapid results, as well as assist in the elimination of the waste and toxins that will be released during the fast. Sufficient bowel eliminations are vital so that the toxins will not back up into the organs, tissues and re-enter into the blood stream.
Because the MC is a fast, no food should be eaten and no vitamin pills are necessary, since all the nutrition needed for the short period of the fast is contained within the recipe. It is recommended to stay on the MC for 10 days, however, I have heard of people staying on it for up to 30-40 days because they were so pleased with their results. In order to achieve optimum results and minimal complications, the recipe and the process should be followed precisely. There have been some deviations and incorrect information given on the internet and by those who had innocently and unknowing passed it around and those who have altered the original recipe to make it look like their recipe is the original, so it is strongly advised to acquire the original book “The Master Cleanser” by Stanley Burroughs to eliminate all doubt. It is very informative and has a variety of other very interesting information in it.
For Master Cleanse mix made to order while you wait using the original recipe (2-day supply @$20.00 & 5-day supply @ $40.00) and other products or information, contact: Loving Life Health Store – 15224 W. 7 Mile, Detroit, MI. 48235 – (313) 861-1118
(StatePoint) Misuse and abuse of drugs and alcohol among the elderly is one of the fastest growing health problems in the U.S., according to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), yet it can often be mistaken for normal aging behavior.
The statistics are alarming: according to The National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence, Inc., 2.5 million older adults have an alcohol or drug problem; while a SAMHSA report shows that the use of illicit drugs, combining drugs with alcohol, and the nonmedical use of pharmaceuticals, results in an average of nearly 300 emergency room visits nationwide each day for those aged 65 and older.
Despite these disturbing trends, substance abuse among the elderly often goes unrecognized and untreated. According to “The Tough Talk: Aging Parents and Substance Abuse,” a new survey commissioned by WellCare Health Plans, Inc., adult children of elderly parents know very little about the drugs and alcohol their parents consume, and three-quarters say it’s possible that they may not even know if their parent had a substance abuse problem, likely mistaking the signs -- such as slurred speech, dozing off and confusion -- for normal behaviors of aging.
“While family members may not feel equipped to identify an abuse problem, they are often the ones who can best spot changes in behaviors that could indicate one exists,” said Kevin Middleton, Psy.D., vice president, behavioral health, WellCare. “Given the serious consequences that overuse or abuse of drugs and alcohol can have on seniors, it’s important to look for those signs and also ask questions that will help determine if and what kind of help is needed.”
Dr. Middleton advises those with aging loves ones to be aware of the following.
• Life Changes Can Trigger Abuse: Retirement, the death of a spouse or dear friend, the loss of a pet and other significant life events, are times when the elderly are most likely to begin misusing or abusing drugs and alcohol.
• Signs of a Potential Problem: Many older people will hide their problem out of shame, and while substance abuse can mimic symptoms of other diseases, always consider the possibility of abuse if there are any major changes in behaviors, such as loss of interest in hobbies, activities or socializing, as well as changes in appetite and sleeping habits. Other signs to be aware of are noticeable memory loss, slurred speech and confusion.
• Asking Questions is the First Step: At times when loved ones appear sober and alert, start asking questions about their use of drugs and alcohol and if they think they have a problem. Speak frankly about your concerns and the risks of substance abuse, but also be sympathetic to the difficulties with which they’re dealing.
• Seek Help: If you do suspect a substance abuse problem, contact his or her health care provider and discuss the best approach to getting appropriate treatment.
For more tips and information on managing substance abuse for aging parents, visit WellCare’s blog at tinyurl.com/ycu6e7g2.
Identifying substance abuse can be challenging, particularly when it comes to the elderly. However, addressing the issue quickly is critical. If you’ve detected signs of a problem, start by asking the right questions.
Drug and alcohol abuse
A growing problem
for the elderly